Annual report 2010/Program Steward
As of February 2010, this stewardship is no longer staffed.
The program steward provides support and resources to anyone doing a workshop, class, presentation or any other kind of event at or sponsored by EcoReality.
EcoReality has a mandate to do programs on a regular basis for education, networking and public outreach.
My strengths as a program steward are in the logistics, planning and resources for events. My love is in supporting others and doing logistics.
The ongoing time budget for this stewardship is 10 hours per month.
Last edited by James Cowan 17:18, 11 December 2008 (PST)
Eleven events hosted by EcoReality
2009 saw EcoReality host eleven events on Salt Spring Island. All of the events related to EcoReality's vision of sustainability and each one touched on food production.
- Dec 28, 2008 - January 4, 2009 EcoReality Winter Retreat: This was an opportunity for EcoReality members and residents to discuss business items, engage in social activities and do strategic planning for the year. There was one event where we invited the larger community and that was a "Show and Tell" on New Year's Eve.
- Jan 3, Alec Ellsworth and Shannon presented "The Urgency of Now," a presentation on global crises that they are doing as part of a trans-Canada bike tour.
- Mar 29 - Apr 4, EcoReality Spring Retreat. Similar to the Winter Retreat, this was attended by members and residents. Again, there was a show and tell that involved the larger community.
- May 30, Film maker Paul Manly presented his documentary, You, Me, and the SPP, about the growing trend to transfer local power to multi-national corporations.
- June 12, EcoReality hosted some 20 students from Simon Fraser University, who took part in educational activities in sustainable living, Permaculture, and land development process, in addition to taking part in "hands-on" sessions making soil, watering plants, transplanting, making hay, and much more.
- June 17, our advisor, Diana Leafe Christian covered a wide range of topic, including recruiting and why people come and go, and why this isn't a problem.
- June 27, Greenpeace International co-founder Rex Wyler talk on climate change. This event was hosted at EcoReality and included Rex Wyler signing copies of his latest book.
- July 25, Paula LaPorte of EcoNest. This event was hosted at EcoReality and featured discussions about natural building.
- August 16, Eco Living Tour. EcoReality was a host on this island-wide event and hosted over 200 people throughout the day.
- September 18, EcoReality conducted two days of an eight-weekend Permaculture Design Course, facilitated by James Richardson of Vancouver, teaching soil management, appropriate technology, invisible structures, guilds and perennial food systems, and hands-on activities
- October 1, Starhawk at Fulford Hall. World renowned author came and gave a talk about climate change, transition towns and many other topics around peak oil and sustainability. Almost 200 people attended the event at Fulford Hall. This has been EcoReality's largest event to date and was a financial and public success.
Share your opinion
blog comments powered by Disqus