Field lease agreement
Lease Agreement Parameters with Night Owl Farms (NOF)
This is a draft document. It has not been put before the members for ratification. It is scheduled to be ratified at the meeting of Meetings#Sunday_29_March_2009_Members_Meeting.
Members are requested to put their comments on the discussion page before Saturday March 28th. Thank you!
WHAT: Request that EcoReality agree to lease of portion of the 10.6 acre field south of EcoReality infrastructure to Gavin Johnston (Night Owl Farms) for 2009, 2010 and 2011 seasons. (3 yrs)
Please refer to Minutes: 20090131 for previous EcoReality discussion items on this topic
- lease roughly 9 acres of the field in question, as specified by red line on map sent by email to EcoReality members and prospective members on March 19, 2009.
new edit March 20
- permit the use of irrigation system and partial water allowance from reservoir so that NOF can take two crops of hay off this field. (not including pump maintenance or fuel)
- Jan, Shannon, Gavin and James carefully measured a diamond shaped piece of the field ~1 acre, along Northernmost portion adjacent to ditch and infrastructure. This will remain EcoReality land (not part of the lease).
- Ecoreality discussed using the unleased portion for:
- fruit processing facility
- humanure structure
- outdoor kitchen
- equipment storage
- goat pasture
Night Owl Farms will:
- use the field for one crop of haylage and one crop of hay each year
- any cattle grazing will require prior consultation with EcoReality and a separate agreement, distinct from the terms of this lease
- return nutrients to the field during the course of the lease in the form of manure.
new edit March 23 - posted by verbal agreement between Shannon and Gavin
- permit a 2m-wide "livestock travel corridor" along the West hedgerow (or a delineated path set out by Gavin/NOF) to allow for herding goats up to the inter-stream areas for forage (animals will not be permitted to stop along the way, but will be continuously moved through this area)
- delineate EcoReality land from leased land by one line of electric fence tape to be erected and maintained by NOF
- Value of leased land = $100/acre (totals a $900 annual rent owing to EcoReality) (see Farm Value Trade Units document sent to members by email March 19)
- Equivalent trade units (1 unit = $15 worth of goods or labour) for the leased land = 60 units per year.
new edit 8 February2012
- Trade units outstanding at the end of each fiscal year during the lease will be balanced between farms without the use of cash. This system is a cash alternative system. (see attached Farm Value Trade Units document emailed on March 19)
Examples of resources that could be traded between farms to pay off the lease include:
- hay (11 units/ton of dried baled hay),
- composted steer manure (1.1 units/cubic meter),
- tractor usage (1.4 units hourly) or excavator usage (1.9 units hourly).
- and labour.
Carol or Jan (on behalf of EcoReality) and Gavin (NOF) will do the accounting of resources traded between farms on an annual basis. This accounting will be shared with EcoReality quarterly as pdf reports, one hard copy to be stored in EcoReality main office, and any member can access this at any time from Carol.
Respectfully submitted: Carol Wagner 11:003, 08 February 2012 (UTC)
Share your opinion
blog comments powered by Disqus