Seven Deadly Sins
In an ecovillage, it would seem to me that the Seven Deadly Sins should be avoided.
So to refresh everyone's mind about what they are, here they are:
- Pride - Pride is competitive. If someone else's pride really bothers you, then you may have to much pride. Seeing ourselves as we are and not comparing ourselves to others is humility, and this is a good thing.
- Envy - Envy resents the good others receive or even might receive. Envy is almost indistinguishable from pride at times. "Love is patient, love is kind…" Love actively seeks the good of others for their sake.
- Anger - Anger is often our first reaction to the problems of others. Impatience with the faults of others is related to this. Kindness means taking the tender approach, with patience and compassion.
- Avarice or Greed - This is about more than money. Greed wants to get its "fair share" or a bit more. Generosity means letting others get the credit or praise. It is giving without having expectations of the other person.
- Sloth - Laziness; idleness and wastefulness of time allotted. Zeal is enthusiasm for a person,cause, or object.
- Gluttony - This does not pertain only to food, but to entertainment and other legitimate goods, and even the company of others. Temperance accepts the natural limits of pleasures and preserves this natural balance.
- Lust - Lust is the self-destructive drive for pleasure out of proportion to its worth. Sex, power, or image can be used well, but they tend to go out of control. Self control and self mastery prevent pleasure from killing the soul by suffocation. Legitimate pleasures are controlled in the same way an athlete's muscles are: for maximum efficiency without damage.
Share your opinion
blog comments powered by Disqus