Project/Yellow house skylights
Project ID: 125
Brighten up the dining room and kitchen without electricity.
This project is to put a skylight into each of those two rooms.
- 2010-09-30 project begun.
- 2011-02-05: project complete, except for financial reconciliation. (photos)
- 2011-12-07: project reconciled, shares disbursed
Goal or deliverable
Skylights and light boxes approximately where the existing light fixtures are in the dining room and kitchen. Move electrical boxes into the light boxes and install sconce or other appropriate lighting fixture.
As part of this project, install track lighting above the serving bar.
Timeline, schedule, or end date
time-related aspects of the project, which may include intermediate deadlines, dependencies, etc
- 2010-10-31 (or before winter rain starts): skylights installed and weatherproofed in roof. DONE (photo)
- 2010-11-30 light wells framed. DONE (photo)
- 2010-12-31 light wells sheet-rocked. DONE
- 2011-01-31: light boxes complete and finished. DONE
generally, a numbered list of tasks, performed in order, that will together accomplish the project's goals or deliverables
- Determine exact location and sketch out layout. DONE!
- Build curb for skylights. DONE!
- Cut roof, over-cut shingles appropriately. DONE! (photo)
- Install with flashing and caulk as needed. DONE! (photo)
- Design light boxes. DONE! (photo) (photo)
- Frame in light boxes without cutting ceiling. DONE! (photo)
- Cut ceiling. DONE!
- Install vapour barrier. DONE!
- Install sheet rock. DONE!
- Insulate light wells. DONE!
- Determine location for track lighting; install box and wire to existing light at bottom of stairs. DONE!
- Corner-bead and mud. DONE
- Prime entire light well area. DONE
- Install mirrors with adhesive. deferred
- Prime and paint non-mirrored area. DONE
- Final financial reconciliation. DONE
how much money will be needed, possibly high-low bracketed and detailed, or a complete guess (try to indicate how firm a guess it is!)
- $0: Skylights were picked up for free -- travel to pick them up was reimbursed.
- $100: New light box light fixtures, as needed.
- $100: Track lighting to go above centre island serving bar.
- $60: 10 ea 2"x4"x8'
- $45: 3 ea 2'x4'x1/4" drywall
- $10: drywall screws and misc hardware
- $10: caulk.
- $20: aluminum flashing.
- $245 total
- Jan and Carol will supply all materials and be reimbursed in Class A Investment Shares for their expenses, up to a maximum of $500.
- Jan and others will be reimbursed for their labour with Class B Investment Shares at the rate of $15/hour, up to a maximum of $3,000.
how many people are needed for how long, including specific people or specific skill-sets
- Jan: 10 hours: research and design
- Jan: 40 hours: install skylights in roof and weather-seal
- Jan: 150 hours: build and finish light boxes
|1110023||FARP: Greenhouse||$1,184.53||2011-05-10 00:00:00||2012-05-10 00:00:00|
|1000011||ISCU Chequing||$10,000.00||2011-02-03 00:00:00||2011-02-03 00:00:00|
|1560000||Leasehold Improvements||$615.39||2011-12-07 00:00:00||2011-12-07 00:00:00|
|2330030||Taxes, GST/HST||$47.35||2012-05-10 00:00:00||2012-05-10 00:00:00|
|2330030||TOTAL:||$11,847.27||2011-02-03 00:00:00||2012-05-10 00:00:00|
Labour, by person
Labour, by activity
"Vehicles" with no odometer, such as tractors or stationary equipment, are in tenths of an hour, rather than kilometres.
|1||Blue Jetta||78 km|
|Jan Steinman||Blue Jetta||2011-03-19||7 km||$3.080||EcoReality||post offc to pick up LEDs||yes|
|Jan Steinman||Bubba||2011-01-12||13 km||$5.564||EcoReality||Slegg for skylight stuff||yes|
|Carol Wagner||Blue Jetta||2010-12-28||27 km||$11.880||EcoReality||Slegg for spackle||no|
|Carol Wagner||Blue Jetta||2010-12-14||16 km||$7.040||EcoReality||return unused insulation||no|
|Jan Steinman||Blue Jetta||2010-12-07||28 km||$12.320||EcoReality||lighting||no|
|Jan Steinman||Sunshine||2010-11-09||6 km||$4.560||EcoReality||Pick up skylight/lighting parts from post office||yes|
|Jan Steinman||Sunshine||2010-10-06||15 km||$11.400||EcoReality||Slegg, skylight materials||yes|
|Jan Steinman||Sunshine||2010-10-04||15 km||$11.400||EcoReality||Slegg for skylight materials||yes|
- Cash disbursed:
- Class A Investment Shares disbursed:
- 584.17 to Jan Steinman
- 31.20 to Carol Wagner
- Class B Investment Shares disbursed:
- 2280.17 to Jan Steinman
- 225 to Carol Wagner
- Budget vs Actual:
- Class A Investment Shares: $115.37 over budget.
- Class B Investment Shares: $493.83 under budget.
|Date||Class A Shares||Class B Shares||Who||Item|
|3 Nov 10||$58.45||Jan Steinman||transformers and halogen bulb connectors from All Electronics|
|9 Nov 10||$28.08||Jan Steinman||36 km in Vanagon|
|7 Dec 10||$1.18||Jan Steinman||skylight parts from Mouats|
|21 Dec 10||$38.08||Jan Steinman||copper wire from Orion/Davis Wire|
|12 Jan 11||$6.11||Jan Steinman||13 km in Dodge|
|16 Jan 11||$25.78||Jan Steinman||ceiling paint from Home Hardware|
|25 Jan 11||$225.00||Carol Wagner||15 hours labour, Carol Wagner|
|26 Jan 11||$181.30||Jan Steinman||lighting materials from Home Depot|
|3 Feb 11||$2,339.75||Jan Steinman||155.9833 hours labour, Jan Steinman|
|14 Feb 11||$273.27||Jan Steinman||drywall, edging, insulation, and insulation retainer from Slegg|
|19 Mar 11||$31.20||Carol Wagner||78 km in Carol's Jetta|
|on hand||$13.20||Jan Steinman||60’ Flex-Weave copper wire @ $0.22 per foot|
|on hand||$105.00||Jan Steinman||21 each 20 watt halogen reflector bulbs|
|on hand||$30.00||Jan Steinman||Oak for lighting supports|
|on hand||$17.22||Jan Steinman||42 each alligator clips|
Share your opinion
blog comments powered by Disqus