The current wood shed is totally inadequate for full-time heating needs of both houses. Storing outdoors, under tarps, is sub-optimal.
Extend the roof line of the existing woodshed another 16' to the east to provide for another eight cords of wood storage.
Goal or deliverable
- Open-air wood storage, approximately 16'x8'x8'.
Timeline, schedule, or end date
- Ready to start loading with wood by mid-summer, 2009.
- Ideally, ready to use as part of the front garden fence by the end of February.
- Use "pole barn" construction for ease DONE
- Place six posts, two for the ridge beam, and four for the wall headers, in an 8' grid. These posts should sit on foundation blocks, or possibly be charred and buried. DONE
- Run a ridge beam and wall headers out from the existing roof line. DONE
- Birds-beak notch rafters to sit on the ridge beam, diagonal-cut the other end to sit on the wall headers. DONE
- Use translucent fiberglass panels for roofing, to let light in, and so that water can be collected from it. DONE
- Use mill slabs for siding, with a lot of open space so wood can dry inside. DONE
- While we're in there, re-wire the lighting to make sense and put a separate switch and light in the tool storage area.
- 2010-03-10: All complete except electrical.
- Posts: 6 x $13 = $78
- Rafters: 16 ea 2x4x6 $80, or salvage
- Ridge and headers: salvage
- Siding: $40 or salvage
- Fiberglass roofing panels: 8 ea 12'x26" = $400
- Wood screws: $30
- Neoprene washers: $20
- Gutters: $160
- Total: $808
(Double the above materials and costs for a 32' shed.)
how many people are needed for how long, including specific people or specific skill-sets
- Jan, design, supervision, construction: 20 hrs
- skilled framing carpenter: 20 hrs
- un-skilled and semi-skilled help: 20 hrs
(Double the above labour for a 32' shed.)
|Jan Steinman||Bubba||2010-03-26||41 km||$18.040||EcoReality||woodshed materials||yes|
|Jan Steinman||Bubba||2009-12-11||29 km||$12.760||EcoReality||woodshed||yes|
|Jan Steinman||Blue Jetta||2009-11-05||29 km||$11.020||EcoReality||ER woodshed||yes|
|James Cowan||Bubba||2009-10-10||23 km||$10.120||EcoReality||get woodshed roofing||yes|
|Jan Steinman||Bubba||2009-04-30||21 km||$9.240||EcoReality||building inspector visit, Uli, abt woodshed||yes|
|James Cowan||Erica||2009-04-24||14 km||$13.020||EcoReality||Slegg EcoR||yes|
"Vehicles" with no odometer, such as tractors or stationary equipment, are in tenths of an hour, rather than kilometres.
|Blue Jetta||29 km|
Total expenses: $562.83, 35% of budget Class B Shares: Jan: 558.5 shares
Share your opinion
blog comments powered by Disqus